You can help the Kachemak Bay Water Trail!
The tide of support is rising and there are a number of ways in which you can get involved.
Spread the word!
An easy way for you to help is just by spreading the word about the Kachemak Bay Water Trail with everyone you meet!
Join Our Fan Club: Check out the Kachemak Bay Water Trail on Facebook.
We always need volunteers! Some tasks are easy and some are more time consuming, but all are very important to the success of the water trail.
- Bookkeeping Services
- Grant writers and managers
- Membership system development and management
- Resource Inventorying: assistance with an on-going inventory of the resources along the water trail like potential launch sites, landings, hiking trails, campsites, and special places and features.
Become a member of one of our subcommittees
- Outreach and Education Subcommittee
- Land and Resources Subcommittee
- Fundraising Subcommittee
- If you're interested in joining us, please contact us.
Whatever your interests and skill levels, we welcome you aboard!
To volunteer contact:
Dave Brann, co-chair KBWT Steering Committee
P.O. Box 729 Homer, AK 99663
We are volunteers who work to provide a clearly marked water route with conveniently located day use and overnight camping sites. In all that we do, we are committed to supporting an excellent recreational experience, while also contributing to healthy waterways and engaged communities.
In the spring we open existing campsites, replace trail markers, and inspect access areas and portage paths. Throughout the summer, we provide maintenance. We need many things to make and keep the Kachemak Bay Water Trail a positive reality:
Equipment, materials, services (current needs)
- Free boat time to transport volunteers willing to help inventory and maintain sites
- Free plane time occasionally, again to transport volunteers to sites
Contact Dave Brann: Homerbrann@gmail.com
Financial contributions make a significant difference in what we can accomplish. We need your support to fully deliver our important programs.
Because we are an entirely volunteer organization, 100% of your donation goes directly to Water Trail development, expansion, and maintenance.
You may make a tax deductible financial contribution in any amount you wish. Gifts of cash are easy and always welcome, of course. But you may want to consider:
- A matching gift: many employers match employee giving. Ask your employer about their matching gift policy and request a matching gift form.
- A Planned Gift: Planned giving provides an opportunity to support the Kachemak Bay Water Trail for the long haul. Help us plan for the future by making your dollars stretch farther. There are a variety of ways you can include KBWT in your planned giving strategy:
* Include KBWT in your Will
* Designate KBWT in a Bequest or Trust
* Contribute Stocks, Bonds, or other publicly traded securities
* Designate KBWT as a Beneficiary of your life insurance policy
- Donations can be made to:
Kachemak Bay Water Trail, Box 729, Homer, Ak. 99603
(NOTE: donations sent directly to the KBWT at this address will not be tax deductible until we receive our 501(c)3 status.)
- If a tax deduction is needed then donations can be made to the KBWT through:
Friends of Kachemak Bay State Park, 95 Sterling Highway, Suite 2, Homer, Alaska 99603
with the donation designated to the Kachemak Bay Water Trail
Have some ideas for our map? Suggest a site here.
Become Part of the System
- Do you own property around Kachemak Bay? You are invited to become a Water Trail Site.
- Do you have a business around the bay which you would like to have included on our maps or website? Contact Dave Brann, Homerbrann@gmail.com
- To become a Commercial Site, Download an application to have a water trail site, and website link added to the Kachemak Bay Water Trail map and website (pdf).
Get on our Mailing List
Receive newsletters, events announcements, etc. Here's how:
email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Dave Brann, Homerbrann@gmail.com
We encourage everyone to join us in creating the first water trail in Alaska on beautiful Kachemak Bay. You will be in good company. Many organizations have already stepped forward to offer their support of the KBWT. Some of these include the:
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- Alaska Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation-Kachemak Bay State Park (which borders much of the bay)
- Homer Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission
- Seldovia Parks, Recreation and Trails Committee
- Homer and Seldovia Chambers of Commerce
- NOAA Kasitsna Bay Lab
- HoWL (Homer Wilderness Leadership)
Businesses and private landowners can become part of the Water Trail too! Apply to the KBWT Steering Committee. Reference FAQs for more information
The Kachemak Bay Water Trail is the only project in Alaska recognized in the US Department of Interior's America's Great Outdoors, 50 State Report.